Saturday, July 5, 2008

On Rue Tatin



I've been transported to Normandy,
France since Tuesday in Susan
Loomis' book! What an enjoyable read
about their buying a 300 year old convent
in Louviers. Susan went to write
a cookbook and they stay. Still there today
as you see in my last sentence.

"I looked out the window and caught my
breath-- the church was near enough
to touch."

The majestic gothic church of Louviers
forms a stunning backdrop to the house and garden at On Rue Tatin






"I am always amazed at what I don't notice.
Living on rue Tatin with the cathedral floating
gracefully in front of us all day long as though
it had wings, I have become, perhaps, inured
to architectural details , since I have a surfeit
in front of my eyes at all times.

BUT there are other things I do notice.
A day never goes by that I don't stroke the
rosemary hedge that shields us from traffic
on rue Tatin. I try to run my hands through
the scrubby thyme plants that grow in our
front courtyard dail. too, for thyme loves
company. My hope is that daily contact will
make them as lush as I think they should
be. I want them to know how much I love
their presence-- to look at, to smell, and
to add to soups, salads, and even apple
tarts."

AND you can go there to learn to cook.
An excellent writer and certainly
an excellent cook!

2 comments:

podso said...

You make me want to read it!

Gail said...

Let's go to the cooking school. Wouldn't that be great fun!!!