Monday, July 6, 2009

well, that turned out GOOD

I tried a new recipe for Oatmeal
Scones from The Sweeter Side of
Amy's Bread. They are so , so good
and I already have several good
scone recipes. This made a huge
batch, so on this summer day I
put a bag in the freezer. Not too
hot today to bake, so here's the
recipe:

1 3/4 c. + 1 tbsp unbleached flour
2/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp B. powder
1 tsp. salt ( which I omitted)
1 tsp cinn.
3/4 tsp b. soda
1 1/4 tsp. unsalted butter, 1/2 inch dice
7/8 c. old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 c. cranberries ( I used a dried berry mix and some with Choc. Chips)
3/4 c. walnuts
1 1/2 c. buttermilk ( I used sour milk)
1 large egg.
sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 400. Combine flours,
sugar, b. powder, salt, cinn, and baking
soda. You can use a food processor to
mix. I used a spoon. Cut in butter and mix
to small pieces in flour. Stir in oats,
berries, and walnuts.
In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk and
egg. Save a tiny bit for the top coating.
Add to dry mixture. Don't overmix.
Drop dough on sheet pan ( can use baking
parchment) . I used a stone with nothing.
Dab with milk mixture and sprinkle with
sugar.

Bake for 15 mins , then reduce heat to 375
for 10-15 minutes.
Makes 12 large scones or many more
small ones.
The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread: Cakes, Cookies, Bars, Pastries and More from New York City's Favorite Bakery



Also made Roasted Squash and Zucchini
from Tyler Florence's
cookbook:

Dinner at My Place












1 comment:

Pat said...

Will these be featured at the next book club meeting? By the way, when is that?