Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to School

The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling [Book]


Here is a good quote I read
to my students today from John
Stott's recent book .He is 89.
It is his farewell book:

The Radical Disciple:
Some Neglected Aspects
of our Calling


"For there is something
unique about books. Our
favorite books become very
precious to us and we even
develop with them an almost
living and affectionate relation-
ship."

That reminds me of living books
of this lady: Charlotte Mason.
She called this : Education is a Science
of Relations.
Also thoughts on living ideas
by the wonderful founders of
Ambleside Online.

Stott ends that paragraph with a great
thought:

"So let me urge you to keep reading,
and encourage your relatives and
friends to do the same.
For this is a much
neglected means of grace."


....means of grace!


1 comment:

Amber Benton said...

The older I get the more I realize the importance of re-reading wonderful books. Me...who can never get to the end of my reading list...who is always chaffed at the lack of time to read...will actually spend some of that time to read a book I've already read before. My favorites - Christy, The Wind in the Willows, Farmer Boy, Potok (In the Beginning especially), Austen... wow I didn't realize my re-read list was also long!