Monday, October 24, 2011

FIRSTS


I always think of this now:
Book of Firsts.

I made one in a blank journal.
Nancy writes a good blog
on The Calendar of First.



It is a capital plan for the children to keep a calendar––the first oak-leaf, the first tadpole, the first cowslip, the first catkin, the first ripe blackberries, where seen, and when.
( Charlotte Mason)


It builds a habit.
Attention.
Observation.
Recording in a book.

Yesterday , my neighbors
and husband all said this as
we sat on their back porch:

"THIS is the first time we've seen
that."


An owl swooped from the trees
to the top of my green roof
with an animal in it's mouth.
A squirrel.
He held it down.
We could hear the animal.
Then he flew to a branch in my
front yard. By this time, we
had binoculars.

This morning the crows were
cawing and cawing. It was such
a raucous that I looked outside.
They were chasing a hawk.
He just sat there on a branch too.

Well, our Squirrel Nutkin got more
than his tail off and I made sure
our cat Oreo was inside!




1 comment:

Nancy Kelly said...

Now that would have been a sight to see! I just love Squirrel Nutkin - thanks for the reminder to read it again.