Saturday, October 26, 2013

good reading



A fall Book Club breakfast and a good book discussion by this author 
put joy in my heart.  It was at my friend's house on my
Fall Break from class. You can see here.  If you haven't read The Little
Way of Ruthie  Leming by Rod Dreher, put it on your list. It is a layered
book of more than his sister dying of cancer. It will resonate somewhere in
your life with family, community, and even calling. It is a true story about  relational
healing.




Next up is Tim Keller's new book on Pain and Suffering. The two  books seem
to hold each other in a category, don't they. I am reminded of Lewis' title
The Problem of Pain. I read it a long time ago but I must reread a Lewis
book in honor of his 50th anniversary on Nov. 22.
How about this from his book:

“You may have noticed that the books you really love are bound together by a secret thread. "

From The Rabbit Room writers , celebrating their Hutchmoot conference, is 
an anthology of stories, poetry, and wonderful illustrations.
Vol. 1 was wonderful. Now Vol. 2 is even better. I have read many of these writers and 
their blogs. 
Fiction by Walt Wangerin, Jr., Jonathan Rogers, Lanier Ivester, and Sarah Clarkson

Non-fiction by Jeffrey Overstreet, Eric Peters, Russ Ramsey, G. K. Chesterton, Andrew Peterson, Jennifer Trafton, and Thomas McKenzie

Artwork by Jonny Jimison, Eric Peters, and Zach Franzen

Poetry by Andrew Peterson, Jonny Jimison, and Rebecca Reynolds

The Molehill: Volume 2

For homeschoolers, new book about journals and commonplace books and nature
notebooks: The Living Page by Laurie Bestvater. I know her from the Childlight
Conferences. THIS is GOOD!







1 comment:

walking said...

I am waiting for my copy of The Living Page to arrive. Yeah!!!