Wednesday, January 7, 2015

things I am fearful of


- letter writing is getting harder to do because of emails

- the economy

- the next generations' choices  and losing faith

- another shooting now in Paris

- being numb to the news

- silence from God



My students wrote poems yesterday after an exercise from a book called
Poemcrazy. The poem starts with answering  questions to I am.... and questions
 like  "What kind of tree? What color? What season?  What are you afraid of?"
and then put them into a poem. I was so touched by their silliness and  honesty 
which seeped into their 16 answers. I was very touched by one student who fears rejection
and longs for friendship. Another who  is quiet and  struggles with thinking he is liked , 
read his three lines saying so much is going on in his head. 
Another knew what googolplex is when I asked " what number are you? infinity,
 googolplex, eight..." scored and we clapped for him.



3 comments:

podso said...

Do you mean it's just easier to respond to an email letter by an email? Don't lose your art of letter writing!

Bonnie said...

I appreciate your letters and love of words! Yes, it is much easier and seems to be of the way communication is now.

melissa said...

Yes, to all you've said.